7- Zip is a file archiver. It is free and open source and hence it is a good alternative to WinRAR which you have to purchase after the 40 day trial period ends. With 7- Zip, you can compress and uncompress files in different formats. It also supports RAR file extensions. Hence, you can open or uncompress files which were compressed using WinRAR.
Features of 7Zip 4.33 Beta
The best thing about 7Zip is that it has a high compression ratio. But let us look at 7Zip 4.33 beta version in particular. It supports
- Supported formats for both packing and unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Plethora of unpacking formats: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z
- Compression ratio of this app for ZIP and GZIP formats is much better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip software.
- Localizations has been done for 74 languages.
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Plugin for FAR Manager
Changelogs of 7Zip 4.33 Beta
Also, let us take a look at the changes that were made in this version over its previous version
- Compressing speed and Memory requirements were increased
- 64-bit version now supports 1 GB dictionary
- Compression ratio in Zip/GZip/Deflate in Ultra mode was increased.
How to download 7Zip?
To download 7- Zip, you need to select from the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. Once you select the right version, you will see a pop up window which will ask you to choose a directory where you want to save it. In case you have set up your downloads to directory go into the downloads folder, this pop up may not appear. It is a small 1MB file which will take you seconds to get downloaded.